Friday, November 4, 2011

3 Months In...

After three months of living and working in Korea, I've decided to compile a list of things I've learned/observed, and express my feelings, both good and not-so-good, about these observations.

Many public restrooms do not have paper towels or air dryers. Naturally, it's inconvenient to have to dry my hands off on my jeans. On the flip side, at least it's eco-friendly!

Koreans are very willing to point out your physical characteristics. This works against my favor when they say things like "You look so young!", "You should do something about that belly.", or "You look really tired/sick!" It has worked in my favor when they say things like "You look very strong!" or "You are very handsome! Most handsome man in bar!" Unfortunately, the only people who tell me those flattering comments are men.

It has been somewhat common for random Koreans to buy me things. I really appreciate the culture they have of sharing and giving. Unfortunately, most of the things given to me have been beer and soju (a kind of rice liquor). I'd like to figure out a polite way to say in Korean, "I prefer Yoohoo."

When walking in public, it is totally acceptable to bump and push through people. As an American, this really drives me nuts a lot of the time. I try to remember that it's not rude here and I should not think of it as such, but it's hard when I'm getting pushed around. On the other hand, it's nice to know that I can push through a crowd without being apologetic!

Korea has killed off most of their animals. Squirrels, rats, deer, etc. are only to be found deep in the forests, and there are really only two kinds of birds here in Pohang, and they are not plentiful. It's sad to hear my students get excited about going to the mountains and seeing two squirrels. At least I don't have to worry about being eaten by a tiger or pooped on by a pigeon.

Koreans will eat anything that comes from the ocean, and I mean that literally. If it can be digested, it will be consumed. I would like to think this helps prevent the complete annihilation of certain fish, since they are not focused on catching just one or two species. As a consumer, though, I often have to turn down some pretty questionable seafood! Can I just get a salmon fillet?!

There are many foods here that Koreans swear are very healthy and will help immune systems, stamina, etc. This is encouraging to hear! However, when you hear the same Koreans claiming that if you turn on a fan in a room with closed doors and windows, you will die (often referred to as "fan death")... I'm not so sure I can believe what they say about their food.

Some days, all I want to do is sit in front of my computer, watch countless episodes of my favorite shows and eat a whole box of wheat thins. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything remotely resembling wheat thins. Fortunately, I have lost weight!

Koreans claim that homosexuality does not exist in this country, and they seem to have no interest in allowing it to exist. I can not help but feel terrible for the thousands of closeted homosexuals who must live a life repressing their true identity. It makes me grateful for what tolerance we do have in the States. Because homosexuality is not acknowledged or thought about here, men are very comfortable throwing their arms around each other, holding hands, and kissing on the cheek without the fear of being called gay. I wish straight men could comfortably act this way in the States without scrutiny.

Koreans live a pretty healthy lifestyle. Obesity is almost nonexistent, and most of the food eaten is significantly better for you than what we normally consume in the States (like wheat thins). Unfortunately for foreigners like me who have a slightly thick body, we can't fit into most of the clothes here!

Despite having just as many cons and pros in the list above, my experience here has been mostly positive, and I by no means wish to give the impression that I have a lot to complain about. Life anywhere will provide things to complain about, but those things don't have to ruin our experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment